The places we are proud to call home

50 gems

Select a place and we will help you plan your visit.

The limestone heart of Presicce

Historic centre of Presicce

Piazza del Popolo

Presicce's main square brings together the ducal palace, the hanging garden, and entrances to the town's underground oil-mill network.

Ducal palace loggia and garden

Piazza del Popolo, Presicce

Ducal Palace and Hanging Garden

The former castle was reshaped over centuries into a noble residence, with Renaissance details, an arcaded loggia, and a garden raised above the old village lanes.

Rock-cut rooms and an old olive press

Piazza del Popolo and the old centre of Presicce

Underground Oil Mills

A remarkable network of rock-cut mills preserves the spaces where lamp oil was produced and exported from the Salento between the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries.

Rococo church façade and bell tower

Piazzetta Villani, Presicce

Mother Church of Saint Andrew

Rebuilt between 1776 and 1781, the parish church pairs a Rococo-inspired façade with the surviving bell tower of its sixteenth-century predecessor.

Traditional tools and rural crafts

Via Castello, Presicce

Museum of Rural Life

The local collection records the tools, domestic objects, and working traditions that shaped everyday agricultural life in lower Salento.

Carmelite church in Presicce

Via Giuseppe Mazzini, Presicce

Church of the Carmine

The church and former Carmelite complex mark the northern extension of historic Presicce and the later growth of the old settlement.

Castle walls and woven reed craft

Piazza San Carlo, Acquarica del Capo

Acquarica Castle and Reed Museum

The medieval fortified complex anchors Acquarica's old centre. Its museum explains the local craft of weaving marsh reeds into baskets, sacks and olive-press filters.

Nineteenth-century parish church

Piazza Municipio, Acquarica del Capo

Church of Saint John the Baptist

Completed in 1828, the church presides over Acquarica's civic square and forms the architectural focus of its historic centre.

Celsorizzo tower in the countryside

Via del Mare, countryside west of Acquarica

Celsorizzo Complex

A late-fourteenth-century defensive tower stands within a rural complex of masseria buildings, chapels, a dovecote, and underground oil mills.

Small country church near Celsorizzo

Via del Mare, near Celsorizzo

Church of Madonna dei Panetti

This small rural church is part of the historic Celsorizzo landscape, where sacred buildings, fortified agriculture, and oil production met.

The layered stone landscape and the ruined lookout on the ridge

Countryside southwest of Presicce

Serra di Pozzomauro

Terraces, dry-stone walls, liame, old olive plots and the remains of the medieval Pozzo Mauro settlement occupy the 132-metre ridge above Presicce. The landscape also preserves the ruined Specchia or Torre di Pozzomauro and traces of some of the area's earliest rock-cut oil mills.

The carved altars, transept and remains of the painted cloister

Via Comunale degli Angeli, Presicce

Santa Maria degli Angeli and Reformed Friars' Convent

Built from 1598 near the lost settlement of Pozzo Mauro, the church preserves a revered Marian image, carved wooden altars and the upper and lower choirs of the adjoining Franciscan complex. The convent later served civic and charitable purposes.

The relationship between chapel, rock-cut spaces and dry-stone terraces

Pozzomauro ridge, near Presicce

Madonna di Loreto — Madonna dellu Ritu

This small rural chapel stands between the Angeli convent and the Pozzomauro heights, beside a rock-cut settlement interpreted as a possible Basilian laura. It links the medieval sacred landscape of the ridge with Presicce's later religious foundations.

The twin pinnacles and simple rural setting

Road from Presicce to Lido Marini

Chapel of the Madonna Addolorata

The late-nineteenth-century roadside chapel stands on the Pozzomauro ridge. Its façade ends in two pinnacles and an open niche, while the interior retains a Lecce-stone altar and a nineteenth-century image of the Sorrowful Virgin.

The bell gable and the chapel's position on the old road

Road toward Alessano, Presicce

Chapel of the Madonna del Soccorso

A small early-twentieth-century devotional chapel on the old road to Alessano, recognisable by its broken-profile façade and tiny bell gable. Local pilgrimages traditionally reached it on the Tuesday after Pentecost.

The concave façade, Corinthian pilasters and Arditi coat of arms

Via Michele Arditi, Presicce

Church of San Luigi degli Arditi

Gaspare Arditi built this private oratory in 1767 opposite the family palace, dedicating it to Mary and Saint Joseph. Its gently concave late-Baroque façade, family arms and animated crowning section make it one of the most refined small buildings on the street.

Its modest scale beside the monumental heart of Presicce

Piazza del Popolo, Presicce

Chapel of Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Built in the 1930s through the bequest of Don Agostino Mele, the chapel became the seat of the confraternity dedicated to Saint Aloysius. It adds a twentieth-century devotional layer to the older ensemble around Piazza del Popolo.

The four personified virtues around the richly carved base

Piazzetta Villani, Presicce

Column of Saint Andrew

The Baroque devotional column raises Presicce's patron saint above a balustraded base. Four female figures at the corners personify Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance, linking civic identity with the cardinal virtues.

The three wrapped corner columns and traces of the incorporated chapel

Via Michele Arditi 3, Presicce

Palazzo Villani

The Villani residence grew from an older noble house acquired through marriage in 1701. Its exterior was recast in hard carparo stone in the early twentieth century, incorporating neighbouring buildings and a small chapel into a distinctive neo-Baroque corner composition.

The vintage façade and G. Villani cinema sign

Via Michele Arditi, Presicce

G. Villani Cinema-Theatre

Opened in 1948 in memory of Captain Giuseppe Villani, this 424-seat cinema-theatre paired film screenings with a full-orchestra stage and variety shows. Restored in 1970 and closed at the end of 1985, its unmistakable façade survives as a landmark of Presicce's postwar social life.

The dialogue between palace façade and the family chapel opposite

Via Michele Arditi, Presicce

Palazzo Arditi

One of the principal residences on Presicce's historic noble street, Palazzo Arditi is tied to the family of scholars, architects and public figures who shaped the town. The palace, its service buildings and the facing family chapel form a particularly coherent aristocratic ensemble.

The ceramic decoration and balcony of interlaced arches

Via Castello, Presicce

Palazzo Alberti

Built in the first half of the twentieth century, Palazzo Alberti places shops at street level beneath the residence. Its façade stands out for decorative ceramic tiles and a balcony of interlaced arches, an unusual modern flourish in the old centre.

The sober Renaissance exterior and the axial garden glimpsed beyond

Via Amerigo Vespucci 9, Presicce

Casa Adamo-Izzo

Notary Giacomo Adamo built this restrained sixteenth-century residence near the Padreterno quarter. Behind the single-storey façade lies an eighteenth-century garden organised by two crossing pergola axes and closed by a small ornamental aedicule.

The recessed loggia and layered entrance sequence

Via Antonio Gramsci 3, Presicce

Palazzo Lia

Repeatedly altered over time, Palazzo Lia retains a lowered entrance arch framed by scroll-like capitals, a recessed loggia above and an eighteenth-century portal inside the courtyard. The sequence reveals how Presicce's residences evolved by addition rather than replacement.

The historic portal and its place in the sequence of Gramsci-street residences

Via Antonio Gramsci, Presicce

Palazzo Valentini di Castromediano

The Valentini residence belongs to the dense chain of noble houses along the oldest urban axis. Municipal heritage material records its nineteenth-century fabric, while local guides single it out for its historic portal and decorated interiors.

The measured street façade; the mosaic interiors are seen only on special openings

Corso Italia, Presicce

Palazzo Martano

Palazzo Martano is one of the notable residences lining Corso Italia, the historic Donnica route. Local heritage interpretation highlights its mosaic floors and the way its noble rooms sit above service spaces at street level.

The long mignano balcony and varied rustication of the portal

Via Garibaldi and Via Eugenio Arditi, Presicce

Palazzo Cara

The surviving sixteenth-century fabric of Palazzo Cara includes a long mignano balcony carried on small scroll-like brackets and a rusticated portal. A courtyard inscription records the house's long occupation and later changes.

The radiating rustication, pierced loggia and surviving painted traces

Via Antonio Gramsci 20, Presicce

Palazzo Soronzi — Casa Pepe

Built by the Pepe family around the turn of the seventeenth century, Palazzo Soronzi occupies one of the highest points in the old centre. Its monumental portal, recessed pierced-balustrade loggia and traces of a battle fresco make it among Presicce's most compelling, if fragile, noble houses.

The swelling balcony rail and rocaille window frames

Historic centre of Presicce

Palazzo Seracca-Guerrieri

This late-eighteenth-century residence belongs to the period when Presicce's noble architecture became increasingly theatrical. Its portal, balcony and rocaille window frames concentrate much of the decoration around the main entrance.

The transition from historic noble compound to twentieth-century residence

Historic centre of Presicce

Palazzo D'Amico-Villani

Formerly associated with the Seracca-Guerrieri property, this early-twentieth-century palazzo forms part of the town's later layer of grand residences. It records how old family compounds were divided, renamed and reshaped as Presicce modernized.

The carved windows, hanging arches and cylindrical dovecote

Via Michele Arditi 39, Presicce

Casa Cesi and Dovecote Garden

The two-level sixteenth-century house preserves finely carved windows, a hanging-arch cornice and a garden once serving the cadet branch of the ruling family. A cylindrical dovecote still rises among the former productive spaces.

The Lecce-stone portal, Baroque side altars and historic organ

Piazza San Carlo, Acquarica del Capo

Church of Saint Charles Borromeo

Fabrizio Guarino Junior founded the church in 1619 after a vow to Saint Charles Borromeo. The former parish church preserves Baroque altars, important wooden sculpture, a pipe organ and the 1664 Annunciation chapel beside the medieval castle.

The civic coat of arms over the portal and the unusual bell-tower crown

Piazza del Ponte, Acquarica del Capo

Church of the Madonna del Ponte

Carlo Luigi Arditi designed the present church in 1883 around a much older devotion. Construction began in 1901 and the building opened in 1924; its reduced single-nave plan, carved portal and distinctive bell tower reflect both ambition and the practical limits of local fundraising.

The enamel-mosaic Stations and the two Resurrection compositions

Acquarica del Capo

Church of the Risen Christ

Inaugurated in 1975 as Acquarica's fourth parish church, this contemporary building answers the town's twentieth-century growth. Its restrained interior is animated by Venetian enamel mosaics of the Stations of the Cross and large Resurrection scenes.

The painted apse, simple stone façade and surrounding olive landscape

Country road toward Torre Mozza

Church of the Madonna di Pompignano

This rural church stands close to the ancient Via Sallentina amid olive plots and dry-stone walls. Rebuilt in the sixteenth century and restored in 1701, it preserves Marian frescoes while medieval burials and Roman finds reveal the longer-lived settlement of Pompignano.

Its intimate scale within the much larger fortified residence

Acquarica Castle, Piazza San Carlo

Chapel of Saint Francis at the Castle

The small chapel dedicated to Saint Francis forms the sacred component of Acquarica's fortified residence. Read together with the tower, courtyard and later palace rooms, it recalls how worship and noble domestic life shared the castle complex.

The chapel's relationship with the tower, farm and olive-oil landscape

Celsorizzo rural complex, west of Acquarica

Chapel of Saint Nicholas at Celsorizzo

Dedicated to Saint Nicholas, this chapel belongs to the fortified rural world of Celsorizzo, where a medieval tower, farm buildings, dovecote and underground oil mills formed a self-contained estate. Its separate entry restores the sacred site to that wider agricultural story.

The chapel's unusually compact scale and restrained façade

Piazza Costituzione, Acquarica del Capo

Chapel of the Immaculate Conception

Luigi Boccadamo commissioned this compact five-metre-square chapel in 1905. Its very simple façade and intimate proportions preserve the character of a personal devotional foundation absorbed into the expanding twentieth-century town.

The colored circular window and softly curved fronton

Via Cavour, Acquarica del Capo

Chapel of Saint Donatus

Donato Occhilupo and Carmela Grezio commissioned this votive chapel in 1963 after receiving a grace. Built in local stone, its coloured round window and gently undulating pediment translate traditional devotional architecture into a mid-twentieth-century idiom.

The scale of the ensemble and its deeply personal origin story

Acquarica del Capo

Monumental Calvary

One of the province's largest devotional Calvaries was created after Salvatore Giulio recovered from a grave illness, fulfilling the vow of his parents Alfredo and Addolorata Olimpio. It turns a personal story of gratitude into a major public monument.

The defensive massing, courtyard inscription and heavy stone balconies

Piazzetta De Pretis and Via Giordano Bruno, Acquarica

Palazzo Grezio-Maggio

This early-seventeenth-century fortified house stands immediately south of the castle's former moat. Probably used as a barracks and lookout, it has a courtyard arch inscribed with a Christian-military motto and massive projecting balconies supported by stone brackets.

The portal-to-courtyard sequence and garden arch

Via della Resistenza 64, Acquarica

Palazzo Carlo Marzo

Dating from the early eighteenth century, this padronale house follows the classic Salento sequence of entrance hall, partly covered courtyard, service rooms, garden and stairs to the residential floor. The surviving arrangement makes the working life of a substantial household easy to read.

The local quarry stone and the long frontage between square and street

Between Piazza Municipio and Via Pedaci, Acquarica

Palazzo Carmela De Leo — Speculizzi

Built between the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries from stone quarried at Acquarica, the two-storey palazzo combines star and pavilion vaults. Its ground floor once included a long travellers' inn and stable, tying the civic square to the movement of people and animals.

Its prominent corner position on Piazza Municipio

Piazza Municipio, Acquarica

Palazzo Capitano Colella

Probably dating to 1821, the palace was home to doctor-captain Giovanni Colella, friend of scientist Cosimo De Giorgi. Colella once kept a collection of Oriental objects here, now lost, adding an intellectual history to the architectural presence on the square.

The formal civic façade facing the church across the square

Piazza Municipio, Acquarica

Historic Town Hall

The municipal council commissioned Carlo Luigi Arditi to design Acquarica's new town hall in 1881. Completed as a purpose-built civic palace, it helped turn Piazza Municipio into the architectural centre of the expanding nineteenth-century town.

The Liberty façade and the contrast with the medieval castle opposite

Via Galileo Galilei 15, Acquarica

Palazzo Macagnino

Facing the west side of the medieval castle, Palazzo Macagnino is a fine Liberty-era residence. A monumental stair rises from the service-rich ground floor—once including an oratory, oil mill, stables and storage—to the eight-room piano nobile.

The carefully restored exterior and its role in local remembrance

Via Tenente Angelo Pedaci, Acquarica

Palazzo Tenente Angelo Pedaci

This restored nineteenth-century residence was the family home of Second Lieutenant Angelo Pedaci, who died in 1915 on Monte San Michele. The building and the street name connect Acquarica's domestic architecture with the community's memory of the First World War.

The late Liberty details and the relationship between palace and park

Corso Giacomo Matteotti 4, Acquarica

Palazzo Villani and Parco San Carlo

Built in the early 1940s with traditional masonry and Liberty details, Palazzo Villani was the last major local residence created by the old building trades. Together with Parco San Carlo it marks the threshold between Acquarica's historic core and its modern civic landscape.

The freestanding villa form at the edge of the historic route

Corso Matteotti 28, Acquarica

Villa Stasi-Valiani

Originally called Villa Egilda, this early-twentieth-century masonry villa belonged to Lieutenant Colonel Noè Stasi, military writer, mayor and promoter of Acquarica's war memorial. It is one of the town's rare surviving suburban-villa types.

The sheer quarry faces and the direct link to Acquarica's built fabric

Countryside around Acquarica del Capo

The Tajate — Historic Stone Quarries

Acquarica's disused tufa quarries, known locally as the tajate, cut dramatic geometric voids into the countryside. They supplied the stone of the town's houses and palaces and now read as both an industrial landscape and an evocative open-air setting.